Finally, after a whole month, PC gamers can download the Escalation Content Pack from Steam. It should be PlayStation’s turn when the PS Store is restored.
From their CoD HQ post, they said… well, what they would normally say. They made a very brief summary of each maps and you can get it for $14.99 US and $22.95 AU. You can of course view the post by clicking on the link above, but it won’t have a lot.
Mod Tools for PC
Well, the beta for well-awaited mod tools has been released since the 31st of May, which I completely forgot to post about! Please remember, console gamers, that it is only for the PC :(. You can view the CoD HQ forums official thread, which you can read, but I will just write the original post:
Hey guys,We have begun updating wiki.treyarch.com with details on the Mod Tools BETA, which will be releasingTuesday, May 31st on Steam.I wanted to highlight here some of the things included in the package:
- Asset Manager.
- Maya 2009 Exporter Plugins.
- Reference materials: Maya src files, scripts, example mods, xmodel exports, texture assets.
The PC team is still investigating the potential release of Radiant. I’ll be sure to update you when I know more.Regards,
Patch 1.09 brings Competitive to PS3
The PS3 patch was released just shortly, which brought the new Competitive playlist to Black Ops. It does have all the features from XBL’s patch. You can view my original post on Competitive Xbox here from last month.
- Security Updates.
- Combat Record properly displays other players’ first stat page even if they don’t have the latest Patch.
- Improvements to split screen fog.
- Films are now accessible even if a user’s console date/time is not set up properly.
- Score and time limit no longer reset in Combat Training if a user opens other menus.
- Players can now cancel tactical insertion spawns with the Tactical Flipped button layout.
- Addition of banner-style Message of the Day on the MP Main Menu.
- Addition of Hardcore FFA and TDM for Combat Training.
- Additional sniper rifle tuning changes.
- Addition of “Competition” Barebones playlist.
- Replaced RPG with Grim Reaper in Gun Game Wager Match.
- Prevent automatic weapons from jamming if the player is feathering the fire button on “Default Alt”, “Tactical Flipped” or “Nom4d Flipped”.
- Fine-tuned napalm and bombing-run damage indoors.
- Prevented rare invulnerability issue.
- Additional game mode timer options for Custom Games.
- Fixed a minor out of map exploit in Grid.
- General Killcam and death-cam improvements.
- Improved Auto-Assign reliability in Private Match.
- Addressed an infinite “joining session in progress” screen under very specific timing conditions.
- Demolition bombs can no longer explode and be defused at the same time.
- Spy play now activates in One in the Chamber in all cases.
- The “Sprint Kills” challenge for Steady Aim perk now rewards the player with the correct number of kills.
- Contracts purchased but not yet expired no longer count as expired when viewing a friend’s player card.
- Addressed a rare issue where a hacked camera spike would not function properly if the hacker also had a camera spike that was destroyed.
- Recording a clip with the speed mode for 2 cameras set to .1 will no longer increase in speed when switching perspectives back and forth.
- Improvements to Zipline functionality when viewed in Theater mode.
- Settings from custom games are all cleared and no longer carry over from one custom match to another.
- Improvements to map voting reliability in lobbies.
- Nova gas will now affect players that are standing over their tactical insertion.
- Hardcore players who kill another teammate in Second Chance now lose the proper amount of points.
- Players can no longer transfer emblems/backgrounds from Combat Training to Player Match.
- Player is no longer able to use a primary weapon in Second Chance (rare, specific instance).
- Improvements to “Community” filters.
Competitive Playlist Details (Accessible via the “Bare Bones” category)
Disabled content within this playlist:
- Flak Jacket
- Second Chance
- Rapid Fire
- Grenade Launcher
- Flame Thrower
- Nova Gas
Frequently Asked Questions
- No killstreaks.
- No equipment whatsoever.
- The playlist has a subset of the most competitive maps as agreed upon with members of the competitive community. It does include Escalation and First Strike maps. You can still vote.
- Minimum and maximum player counts are set up just like Team Tac. We recommend you go in with a party of 4.
- One might argue that banning Ghost is pointless, since the playlist has no Killstreaks taking Ghost gives no advantage.
- The playlist uses variant game mode rules. For example: Search and Destroy has a lowered game round timer, switches sides, and modifies the game mode timer.
- The playlist will be available with the next game update. As we are not 100% in control of when Microsoft or Sony will release the update providing an exact time is difficult.
- The video contains the list of banned weapons. All secondary launchers are banned; everything else fair game.
- Subject to some caps on the number of restrictions, the list of allowed/disallowed weapons, attachments, and perks is easily modified.
- We believe that both First Strike and Escalation have some competitive maps and want to see online leagues add them to the line up.
- Domination spawn delay should be set at 7.5 seconds.
- The playlist still impacts your stats.
- The playlist does not have it’s own leaderboard. That is out of scope since it’s made up of multiple game modes.
- Search and Destroy, Domination, and Capture the Flag are the principal game modes in the Competion playlist.
- Party chat is currently enabled.
- Search already uses a 1.5 round time limit.
- If the MLG unbans Rapid Fire and bans Steady Aim, we will consider making that change as well. However, it’s important to note that MLG is not the only competitive league. The Competitive playlist will be modified, as necessary, when the ground is common or be somewhere between the extremes.
Modern Warfare 24/7 have made a four-part post which they’ve released (only P1) today, you can view it here.
They’ve made the Career section, which they say is part of your Playercard, showing detailed information from the Elite trailer from THELEGENDofKARL. They say that it can be customised for any supported Call of Duty game (currently MW3 / Black Ops) and for stats junkies, this is your luck since it includes:
- Win/Loss ratio, Kill/Death ratio, CoD Points earnings breakdown
- Rank and XP progress bar
- Rank Calculator (the ability to calculate how long it will take you to rank up and prestige) *new
- Time-played Chart (see how long you have played the game and which gametypes you play the most) *new
At the top of the page, they say, there is a collapsable Featured News section, which includes “CoD news, community events, and other information”.
They then continue to the Recent Matches page. It’s very similar to the in-game Black Ops version, but you can view it in a pie chart (Yummy pie!) or a list. It includes:
- Summary of game (rank progress bar, current level, and XP earned)
- Post game stats (sore per minute, best performing weapon, highest killstreak, victim/nemesis)
- Scoreboard, sorted by Faction (players, score, K/D ratio, objective stats)
- Heat map (scroll through game, view overall, see which weapons you killed with and got killed by, view personal or all players) *enhanced
- Stat Timeline Charts, tracking game to game performance (kills, deaths, headshots, score per minute…etc)
You are able to view your classes online 😀 but it is still unknown whether you can make a new one or edit one.
They then talked about the Leaderbaord Tracker and Personal Bests. This, they say, is to keep track of your long-time progress and achievements. It includes:
- Personal Bests (Best K/D, Most headshots, longest killstreak, most kills, highest score)
- Leaderboards (Current standing, sort by All-time, Monthly, Weekly)
- Add Rivals (allows you to follow,track and compare friend’s standings over time) *new
They finally finish with the Elite Summary area. It is more to the social side, this section, and will feature a feed where you can change status updates. Other included:
- Elite Feed (where you can create status updates or have your latest Elite achievements shouted out) *new
- Friends (drawn in from your platform’s friend’s list, Elite’s groups, and via Facebook) *new
- Compare (compare your stats from your Career, Personal Bests, and the Leaderboards) *new
- Tracked Players (the ability to keep tabs on certain players for easy access to stats and achievements) *new
- Showcase (displays your most recent trophies and badges earned via events and activities) *new
- Enlistment Schedule (manage the community events you have signed up for) *new
So continue to stay tuned to Modern Warfare 24/7 for more Elite info.